The benefits of producing PDF files directly on the HP3000 include:
- HP3000 output in a format ready to be stored directly on a web site.
- Reduction of printing costs for manuals and large reports. These can now be stored in PDF format on CD.
- PDF formatted reports can be distributed easily by e-mail or stored to a web site.
- PDF documents can be printed to any printer supported by Windows that will print from Acrobat e.g. small desktop inkjet printers. This in turn frees the HP3000-connected laser printers for other tasks.
- Read-only report archives can be created, e.g. month-end reports can be stored in PDF format anywhere on the network for retrieval without having to run 3000-based reports or jobs on the central application.
OpenPDF supports Adobe's macro facility within a PDF. This greatly reduces the file size for multi-page PDFs by ensuring graphics such as logos and forms can be stored in the PDF just once and then called repeatedly to appear numerously throughout the document.
SpoolPDF is an optional add-on module for OpenPDF which handles MPE spool files. SpoolPDF preprocesses HP3000 spooler control characters (CCTL) before passing the PCL over to OpenPDF to convert to PDF.